The International Nurses and Midwives day celebrations in Kitgum were generally very successful. President Museveni was welcomed by what he described as a special guard of honour mounted by over 100 beautiful nurses. 22 nurses including Ebola victims and survivors were recognized and awarded for their great contribution towards this nation.
He promised among other things
- Salary enhancement for scientists including doctors, nurses and other medics.
- Eighteen statehouse scholarships for Nurses and midwives per year
- One billion shs for Nurses SACCO
- Compensation for families of Ebola nurses who perished and nurses who get accidents while on duty
- Ministry of health to have a special budget for Nurses day just like it is for midwives day
- Some allowances like Housing and transport.
- But we are not yet sure of the Lunch allowances.
- But if these promises are fulfilled, it may be a fair beginning of improvement in the terms and conditions of service